Thursday, July 6, 2017

Kicking It Up A Notch


As the title of this particular post suggests, summer camps have kicked off, and our two teams in BC are kicking it with two churches this week.  I'm kicking myself because my role this summer has me going to each teams first camp that kicks off their summer, and it has reminded me how much I did enjoy coaching alongside churches in order to redeem the culture surrounding soccer and sport, as well as providing a little extra kick as the churches seek to reach out into their communities.

Well if you stuck with me through that incredibly delightful opening paragraph, I question your sanity, but appreciate your dedication.  I got the opportunity to go to both our camp in Tsawwassen and one of our camps in Richmond this week, and observe how each of our teams were doing in their first few days.  This is one of my favourite parts of the job this summer, because I have coached at many of the camps that I will be visiting, so there are lots of opportunities during my time observing our own coaching teams to reconnect with church volunteers and those who coordinate the church's side of our partnerships. 
Me coaching with Tsawwassen circa. 2016

Tsawwassen Alliance Church is such a camp, as I have served at their camp twice before, so it was a good experience to go back and be able to be a little more intentional about hearing their vision for soccer camp, and how it fits into the rest of their efforts to reach out to the community this summer.  It was also fun to spend time with their volunteers and build into them intentionally, as many of them have been serving at their church's soccer camp for many summers now.

Richmond Baptist Church is running our other camp this week, and while I haven't spent time at their camps before this summer, they sent a couple of their interns to our own coaches training this summer to learn about and be trained in sports ministry for their work this summer.  So in addition to observing our own team or coaches, I got to talk with those who joined us, and to see how the training we run for our own staff helped equip them for their own work this summer; both in sports ministry and in other areas.

If you are looking for ways to pray for me, it would be great if you could focus on wisdom.  When I am looking to help our coaches and give feedback, I tend to over-analyze and offer feedback to the point where I overwhelm, so wisdom in giving the most helpful and applicable feedback is a big need of mine.  The other thing that I could really use prayer for is using my time well.  The title I hold this summer has a number of roles within it, and so to be able to plan and execute a wide variety of projects requires me to steward my time well.

Well you made it to the end.  I know you probably skimmed most of this after realizing how difficult that first paragraph was to read, but I still appreciate the time it takes.  Hope you are enjoying your summer as much as I am.

In Christ,
Levi "The Leviathan" Friesen










No comments:

Post a Comment